The purpose of the PPG is to establish a system of communication with all the registered patients in the practice so that their views and concerns are fed back into the practice.
Tasks & Objectives
The key tasks & objectives are to:
- Contribute to practice decision-making and consult on service development and provision.
- Provide feedback on patients’ needs, concerns and interests and constructively give remarks to the practice whenever necessary.
- Serve as a “safety valve” for dealing with grumbles and complaints about the practice – representing patients but also helping them to understand the practice’s point of view.
- Develop self-help projects to meet the needs of fellow patients for example, by providing transport to enable patients to get to the surgery.
- Provide a vehicle for patients to make positive suggestions about the practice and their own healthcare.
- Influence the provision of secondary healthcare and social care locally.
- Participate in community engagement activities for example on the provision of new services or changes in service development by providing feedback.
- Advice on how to spend money which has been donated to the practice.
Membership of the PPG is voluntary. The group is open to all patients registered at the practice; however there should be a good geographical spread to represent the practice population.
The group will elect a Chair, Vice-Chair and a Secretary. The Secretary will take the minutes which will be circulated to all members and made available to any patients on demand. The meetings will be ideally attended by the Practice Manager and often a GP.
The meeting will be quorate when four or more members of the group are in attendance. If four or more members are not present, or cease to be present during the meeting it will be adjourned.
Frequency of meetings
The PPG will meet every 2-3 months.
The terms of reference will be reviewed on an annual basis.