Make an appointment
You can make an appointment in the following ways:
- Book at appointment online using our Patient Online Service or using the NHS App.
- Telephone 01438 871398. We advise you to use this number for urgent queries only, or if you can't use online services. Please use the online alternatives for other queries if you can.
- Come to the practice in person.
Appointment bookings start at 8am Monday to Friday but you can contact us anytime during our opening hours.
- Appointment times
- Enhanced access appointments
- Appointment options
- Making sure you get the right help
- If you need help with your appointment
Monday to Friday:
Morning appointments from 8:30am to 1pm
- Afternoon appointments from 2pm to 6pm
We work with other local GP practices to provide you with help outside of practice opening hours. If your query is something that can be dealt with any doctor or nurse we are able to offer you an enhanced access appointment at Portmill Surgery in Hitchin. These are available from 6.30pm to 8pm Monday to Friday and Saturdays 9am to 5pm The address is Portmill Surgery, 114 Queen Street, Hitchin SG4 9TH.
To arrange one of these evening or Saturday appointments please speak to our practice reception team. These appointments are not available for online booking.
We have three types of appointments. These are:
- On the day - for urgent medical problems that you need help with today and cannot wait until the following day or the next available routine appointment.
- Next day - book for the following working day.
- Advance - there are limited pre-bookable appointments for 7, 14, 21 and 28 days ahead.
If you telephone or visit us, our reception team will ask you for some more information about the health issue that you need help with.
We will use the information you give us to decide:
- Whether there is another service such as a community pharmacy or urgent care centre that is better placed to help you.
- Who is the best person to help you. This might be a doctor, nurse or another healthcare professional. Find out more about our wider healthcare team here.
- How quickly you need to be seen - whether this is today, tomorrow or in a few days or weeks’ time.
- What type of appointment you need. Find out more about the appointments we offer.
Sometimes the receptionist might take your details and phone number and arrange for you to have a call back from a GP or another healthcare professional who will make an initial assessment of your needs and decide how best to help you. Based on the information you give them they might give you advice over the phone or book you into an appointment.
We understand that you might need to see a particualr person, might need a particular type of appointment or might need extra help with your appointment.
Please tell us:
If there is a specific doctor, nurse or other health professional who you would prefer to help you.
If you would prefer to consult with the doctor or nurse by phone, face-to-face, by video call or by text or email.
If you need an interpreter.
If you have any other access or communication needs or need support with your appointment.